The author of Arteology is Pentti Routio, Lic.Sc.(Tech.),
M.Sc.(Archit.), who gives a class of similar content (Research Methods) annually in the University of Arts and Design Helsinki.
The class is given in Finnish each January-February, and in English when necessary.
Address and telephone
Kulosaarentie 25 b,
FIN 00570 Helsinki.
Tel. 00 358 96 84 91 19
alt. 00 33 4 97 21 17 64
Date and place of birth: Akaa, Finland. February 10, 1934
Licentiate in Technology [Lic.Sc.(Archit.). Granted October 10, 1977, by Helsinki University of Technology, Faculty of Architecture.
Master of Science in Architecture [M.Sc.(Archit.)]. Granted January 28, 1965, by Helsinki University of Technology, Faculty of Architecture.
Academic appointments in reverse chronological order
- From 1997 - present: Part-time teacher of the class of Research Methods, 15 hours annually = 3 credits. University of Arts and Design Helsinki, Department of Industrial and Strategic Design.
- November 1, 1995 - retirement February 28, 1997. Director of Research (in Finnish: Tutkimuspaallikko). University of Arts and Design Helsinki, Department of Industrial and Strategic Design.
- January 1, 1967 - October 31, 1995. Director of Research. The Finnish National Board of Building.
- January 22, 1979 - March 31, 1980. Part-time teacher of the class of Research Methods. Tampere University of Technology, Department of Architecture.
- September 1, 1973 - May 19, 1978. Part-time teacher of the class of Research Methods. Helsinki University of Technology, Department of Architecture.
- Arteology. The Science of artifacts. Guide to research and development. Contains ca. 40 www-pages, altogether ca. 145,000 words or 2 megabytes. Published first in 1995 and updated since regularly (see How Arteology was born). UIAH, University of Arts and Design Helsinki.
- Arteología. Spanish version of the above. Translated by Jesús B. Bermejo, Madrid. Publisher: Casi Nada, a www-journal.
- Tuote ja tieto. Finnish version of the above.
- Tuote ja tieto [Product and Knowledge] Printed version of the above (in
Finnish). 1 printing 1990, 5 printing 2000. Publication of UIAH, University of Arts and Design Helsinki. 220 pages.
- Asuntotutkimus ja suunnittelun teoria [Research and Theory of Housing]. Suomen Rakennusinsinöörien Liitto RIL [The Association of the
Finnish Civil Engineers] Helsinki 1987. 241 pages.
- Tutkimuksen metodiopas arkkitehdeille [Research methods for architects]. First edition 1979, third edition 1983. Tampere University of Technology, Department of Architecture. 202 pages.
- Arkkitehtuuri- ja rakennustutkimuksen menetelmistä. [On the Methods of
Architectural and Building Research]. University of Technology, Department of Architecture. Espoo, Finland. 1975. 75 pages.
- Taito, taide vai tiede? Kirjoituksia arkkitehtuurin teoriasta. [Craft, art or
science? Writings on architectural theory]. Rakennushallitus [The Finnish National
Board of Building]. Report no 2/1994. 153 pages.
Annex to Palojärvi primary school, Vihti, Finland
The extension was designed to a beautiful building from ca. 1930, designed by Eljas Paalanen and consisting of two class-rooms and two apartments for teachers. In order to avoid intruding upon the older architecture, the new building was placed a little aside.
As an afterthought one might now wish that the changes that were made to the old building had been even more discrete. It might have been possible to avoid moving the entrance, removing some of the wooden listels, and changing the colour outside from red to brown.
But the manners were like that, then.
Apartments for the employees of Vihti municipality
The architectural firm Pentti and Tapio Routio designed in 1967 three buildings containing 20 apartments for the employees of the commune of Vihti.
The site lies ca. 50 kms to NW of Helsinki.
The site was rocky and steep and contained an old one-family house.
I tried to preserve it, but eventually only the foundation made from large cut stones was saved.
August 3, 2007.
Comments to the author:
Original location: http://www2.uiah.fi/projects/metodi